Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wimax? Not Ready...

Wimax anyone? I just returned the 15-day trial for P1 Wimax. The first impression about this technology was cool until I use it. It all started when my Streamyx was freaking slow due to submarine cable fault.



I was @ Digital Mall when I saw a P1 booth sitting next to the building. It was raining at that time and while waiting for the rain to stop, the college boy asked me to try it. Without much delay, click on some you tube videos. Speed was relatively fast considering that the line indicator was showing orange(low signal strength) in colour during rain.

I then asked him about the threshold limit stated in the brochure. He could be lying to me when he said the threshold set to your modem will not stop your downloads but just to slower (priority given to other users below threshold limit) the speed for other users based on the fair usage policy. Being in IT line for quite sometime, I think his information is very misleading. I don't think the bloke has been given proper sales/marketing training to the agents.

I then sign up for the 15-day trial since it was free. I got home and started using the modem after few hours. I sense that during the day time, it was okay but not @ night. Speed was getting slower and by midnight, I could not even open the yahoo page!

I told myself to forget about using it. It was a bad experience. As far as I know, my cousin did some testing on the P1 antenna @ Bangsar Village. Thinking that the distance from Bangsar Village to the house is near, the signal suppose to be superb but then, it went the other way round.

My conclusion about this Wimax service is not bad but they can surely further improve by not upgrading the software during midnight as this will affect the users' connection. Bad move. At lease, inform us via the main website!

No comments:

Upcoming activity(ies)

Desc:
Date:
Time:
Venue:
Coordinates :
Trail: