Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Melaka Heritage MTB Jamboree 2008

The trail:
I have always wanted to join Jamboree ride since few years ago but never had the chance to do so. Somewhere around August this year, I came across someone putting a link of the Jamboree event @ Melaka in BBS(BicycleBuySell).
So tempted to join, I pulled along my cousin Kelvin, my colleague Chow, Noob & Fear.
Early morning of the event day:
Noob and Fear have their own respective teams while Chow, Kelvin and myself stick together as a mini team.
That morning, we can't wait to meet up @ A'Famosa. Noob already calling me when Chow and I was approaching the event site.
Kelvin was already there with his bike plate. Chow and myself quickly setup our bikes and kits for the ride, upon reaching the Cowboy Town carpark area.
So many bikers already there queueing! Oh my. I was so nervous. I ran to sign up for all three of us before returning back to check my bike for the final run. Wheels were good, brakes were superb, gear shifts were smooth but I still felt something missing. Oh yea, I gotta apply my mossi-guard repellant and Banana Boat sunblock!
Once done, we went to the starting line area whereby almost all riders can be seen there. Some riders were still at the car park setting up. I guess something must have gone wrong with their bikes.
Once flag off, we did a 10km warm up lap along the road @ Alor Gajah area. We passed by some wooden houses, shops and stalls by the road side before heading in into the forest area. We had to ride slowly in lines to avoid accidents due to some small path to CP1 (checkpoint 1).

CP2 and CP3 were okay with some climb @ rubber plantation area. I had two bananas @ CP3 knowing that my energy will be drained further for upcoming sections. Right after CP3, there was a climb with rope for the rider and his/her bike. Everybody had to queue up for quite sometime due to the narrow climb. The way up was so slippery with dark brownish soil and dead leaves.
Once done with the rope climb, I left my bike and went down to assist Chow. Someone slipped and his bike tumbled down to a nearby tree. He was lucky.
Fear, David, Chow and myself took a photo after the climb. We looked happy but for sure it won't last for long. Next is the fast downhill whereby I gotta lower my seatpost to the max for the thrilling dive. I saw a guy laying by the side of the path with his orange/black bike. He must have skidded or hit some rocks before tumbling across the path to the other side. Scarry. I continued on.
I then prepared myself for the downhill section by lowering my seat post to the max in order to be able to have better control. The first downhill section was so fun with my rear wheel screeched a little and swerved whenever I use my weight to maneurver left and right.
I was so unfortunate that day when I poured some water on my hot head without realizing that the cool water actually caused my sinus to take place. Sigh, that was a huge mistake. I then rode all the way with dripping nose. So difficult to breathe!
The next section was abit relaxing before heading towards CP 5 and 6. If I am not mistaken, there were few deadly climbs throughout the two most difficult section. I had few stops due to scorching hot climate in the open oil palm plantation area.
At one of the stops on the way up to Bukit Botak, several riders were complaining about the hill. It was so difficult for me, not about riding, but rather pushing the bike up the hill with 3 consecutive climbs to reach the 180m peak. That was nuts! I received a call from Kelvin when I was at the peak. He told me to becareful when going down from the peak as the downhill section was bad for him - he crashed.

I proceded downhill by riding my bike at first but it was so slippery that when I jammed my rear brake, my bike swerved to the left so hard that the rear wheel hit a huge rock. I was so terrified that I broke my rim. Fortunately, it was bent a little, thanks to Sunrims.

Looking like and old tired dog after the downhill, I took my one and only PowerBar and head to CP7. Few riders were there waiting for transportation. I was told by one of them that I can get the finisher medal for all nine check points (not true actually, you can get it even if you finish only 5 check points). Without much tought, I left CP7 slowly and cycled all the way to CP8 and then to tarmac section. Tarmac was a killer when I released the air pressure from my rear wheel during the earlier stages.

Lastly, miles by miles, I managed to cover all 9 check points. On they way to finishing line, I stopped once more and met some friends. 2 marshals came over to our resting point. They told us that two riders were hospitalised due to the mad downhill section after CP6. One of them broke the seat post and injured his most important part. Guess what? He couldn't even climb on to the ambulance for treatment. That was a pity.
Finally, all of us managed to cross the finish line together in a small group after crossing 2 water patches. I hate that patches - they wet my shoes! That was my very first jamboree simple story. Tired but happy to have completed it. Thanks also to my Fuji Tahoe SL baby!

1 comment:

Zenghoong said...

The version of this from your wife is much funnier. ahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahah
ROFL!!

Upcoming activity(ies)

Desc:
Date:
Time:
Venue:
Coordinates :
Trail: